12 Really Strange (but Effective) Ways to Make Money in Florida
Working at home is the jam.
Not only do work-from-home jobs sometimes let you set your own schedule, but you get to skip tedious tasks like sweating through your suit as soon as you walk out the door, getting stuck in rush-hour traffic and making small talk with your coworkers.
And doesn’t working in your PJs sound luxurious?
Since working from home is a goal for a lot of our readers, we’ve rounded up 12 awesome work-from-home jobs just for Florida residents.
We’ve included a variety of full-time jobs as well as side gigs on this list. Even better? None of them require a college degree.
Keep reading to learn about our favorite work-from-home opportunities in Florida in 2016.
1. This Company Will Pay You For Your Thoughts On Donald Trump
What do you think of Donald Trump? Are you going to vote in the 2016 election? Do you think Hillary Clinton lied about Benghazi?
The polls are pretty fun and I can usually earn about $50/month with them.
2. Make Waves for Carnival Cruise Lines
How would you like to take two free cruises a year? That’s one of the perks of working for Carnival Cruise Lines, in addition to many other health and retirement benefits.
In this position, you’ll answer incoming calls from guests, travel partners and internal team members.
You’ll need excellent customer service skills, a dedicated phone line and a computer with an internet connection.
Read more about it here: Call Center Virtual Solution Specialist
3. Get Paid to Write Resumes and Cover Letters
Do My Resume is looking for a professional resume writer to join its Orlando-based time. You’ll work remotely, rake in $45,000 and be responsible for producing 3-9 high-quality resumes and cover letters per week that represent the customer in the best light possible.
If you can write a killer resume, this might be just the gig for you.
Read more about it here: Professional Resume Writer
4. Watch YouTube-Like Videos
This works because the videos are sponsored by brands who need to get it in front of as many eyeballs as possible. Every time you watch one of their ads, they’ll credit your account with cash.
Here’s a link to signup. They give you $5 just for signing up.
5. Get Paid to Download Apps
There are a number of companies, including Google, that will pay you to install apps on your cell phone. And these companies pay you for every month you keep the apps installed.
The apps collect data from your cell phone and help companies better understand web and mobile usage better — such as what times of day people browse, how long they stay on websites and use apps, and what types of sites and apps are popular (or not).
Here are my favorites (install all of them and earn $400/year or more):
– MobileExpressions for iPhones – This one can only be downloaded on iPhones. After you’ve installed it for one week, you get to play an instant rewards game for a prize (everyone wins something). I won a $25 Amazon gift card, but some of the other prizes include iPads & Samsung TVs.
– MobileExpressions for Android – This is the same as the iPhone version, but exclusively for Android!
– Cross Media Panel – You’ll first after to answer questions about your gender, age and zip code before getting access to this site. But once you do, you can earn $6 in rewards for signing up and an additional $12 per month that you keep the software installed. That’s $150 a year for absolutely no work!
– Nielsen Mobile for iPhone and Android Users – if you have an iPhone, this Nielsen panel will give you points worth up to $50/year to keep this app on your cell phone. You can use these points to buy gift cards that you can then sell online.
6. Take Camping Reservations at Active Network
All you need for this position is a phone, a computer with internet and a love of the outdoors.
You’ll work from your own home helping customers make camping reservations. The job runs until September 2016, with potential to then turn into a permanent position.
Read more about it here: Camping Reservation Agent
7. Set Your Own Schedule as a Transcriptionist
If you want a work-at-home job that doesn’t require sales experience or a college degree, transcription might be a good fit. This gig requires listening to audio files and typing out what you hear; you can work as little or as much as you want.
Though the work can be repetitive (think: listening to the same audio files over and over), it pays well and offers a ton of flexibility.
Read more about it here: Earn $25/Hour as a Transcriptionist
8. Monitor Calls for Holiday Inn Club Vacations
In this position, you’ll be responsible for monitoring phone calls to ensure they’re up to the standard expected by Holiday Inn Club Vacations.
Though the position is entirely remote, you must live near Winter Garden, Florida, so you can attend occasional trainings and quarterly meetings.
Read more about it here: Quality Assurance Agent
9. Video Chat With Customers for Hertz
Are you a people person? In this virtual position with Hertz, you’ll use a state-of-the-art video conferencing system to look customers in the eye as you help them with their car rentals.
You need a high school degree and one year of customer service or sales experience, and you must live within an hour’s drive of Hertz’s Bonita Springs, Florida location.
Read more about it here: Home Based Sales Specialist
10. Chat With Fellow Shopaholics at Home Shopping Network
Do you love to shop? Then this part-time position might be perfect for you.
The famed Home Shopping Network is looking for friendly sales representatives who live in the Pinellas, Hillsborough or Pasco counties of Florida. You must have a high school degree or GED, a computer with internet and a dedicated phone line.
Read more about it: Work at Home Sales Rep
11. Make Furry Friends as a Pet Masseuse
You’ve probably never thought about pet massages before, but animals develop sore muscles just like we do. And a growing number of pet masseuses are here to help them feel better.
To work as a pet masseuse, no specific license is required, though a few schools do offer certification programs. You can run this business out of your home, or visit local pet businesses to ply your services.
Read more about it here: How to Earn Money as a Pet Massage Therapist
12. Help Nordstrom Customers (and Get a Discount)
Nordstrom is hiring seasonal work-from-home customer care specialists in Florida.
You’ll help troubleshoot customer inquiries. In order to do so, you’ll need to be able to multitask, handling various software applications.
The listing also notes the comprehensive benefits package, which includes medical, vision and dental coverage, a store discount and a 401(k) plan — depending on your role. All you need is six months of retail experience and excellent phone and written communication skills.
Read more about it here: Customer Care Specialist
Your Turn: Which opportunity on this list looks most appealing to you? What other work-from-home jobs in Florida should we include?
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. We would have shared them with you anyway, but a true “penny hoarder” would be a fool not to take the company’s money